Tuesday 30 September 2014

On the stairs of Death I write your name, Liberty.

Maps to the Stars (2014)


A tricky one this. A hard film to like for sure, it is elliptical, distant, outlandish (when the main character outlines plot beats that won't get revealed for a while to Robert Pattinson, you assume, like him, she's making it all up, even the stuff you've already seen happen).
But it is powered by a couple of strong, confident performances from Julianne Moore and the ever interesting Mia Wasikowska and has a haunting, odd tone that is distinctly Cronenberg.

*Side note to people who know my increasing wimpiness with regards to tension in movies I almost had to walk out of one scene (similar to a bit in This is the End) but managed to plow through by turning my head away. Sigh, I hate having no control.

No comments:

Post a Comment