Friday 1 September 2017

I wanted to make something that people would see

Dave Made a Maze (2017)
Chosen by me. Available on amazon video. And James Urbaniak should be in everything.


This is the third or fourth time I've done filmaday. It normally doesn't last long. I have little follow through. My business has only lasted 8 years because I was too lazy too to accept it's failure and find a real job. My parents still give me money to buy things. And I don't know why they like me. I'm massively boring and these projects (I have started one for comics too) are ill-thought out attempts to make people find me interesting. Even opening my own store was done to effectively force people to be my friends.

Dave made a Maze is not subtle (it even hangs a lampshade on how on the nose it is) but it resonated with me quite a bit.
And if it doesn't for you it should still offer some pleasures. Like a minor Charlie Kaufmann riff, it is odd and endearing. Playful and a little deadly. The fact that the blood and guts is done with streamers and ribbons make the booby trap scenes no less brutal.
Meera Rohit Kumbhani (great in the little seen short lived sit-com Weird Loners) as the girlfriend of the titular Dave is terrific - making you care about this dull straight white guy's problems more than you probably should with just a glance or the way she is delighted by some of what he has created.
It may be one note but the gag of the documentary crew following them around never stops being funny (it helps the film is only about 80 mins).


No comments:

Post a Comment