Tuesday 5 September 2017

We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

Ghostbusters 2 (1989)
Chosen by me from Netflix. I review the original here.


Pretty much terrible. My review of the previous film mentioned that no-one had any arcs, there was no real plot but it was funny and zipped along. This has all the problems of the first without the good stuff.
It spends close to forty minutes just to get back to the point that the last one ended on. 
Because movies don't believe we can be interested in people being good at their jobs or in healthy relationships. 
Bill Murray doesnt work as an underdog because he never acts like one - he is all smugness and unwarrented confidence. Yet we spend an interminable time with him in this function.
It tries to over-compensate by having too much of a plot, but none of it really makes sense (is there some deleted scene explaining why it has to be Weaver's baby used for the big bad's scheme?) and any hurdle is too easily gotten over.
I don't think I covered the remake for these pages but that is far superior to this and more consistent than the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment