Monday 25 September 2017

I'm the only one in here I've never heard of.

Sweet Charity (1969)
Chosen by me for Musical theme week 
(I didnt have time to rewatch it so I'm doing this from more distant memory)


One of my favourite musicals.
It is too long, and perhaps too slight but this remake of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria is a pure delight.
Shirley Maclaine is amazing as a worldly but naive proto Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
Her big difference being she is the main character so although like most MPDGs, she does not get love at the end, she is not just there to teach some boring man about it either. 
And the end is defined by her hopefulness rather than despair.
But of course the real joy here is the numbers. 'There's Got to be Something Better Than This' a real stormer with Maclaine, Chita Rivera and Paula Kelly blazing up the screen in red, yellow and purple.
Sammy Davis Jnr is very funny as a strange hippie like church leader and then there is Suzanne Charny.
Charny just blows me away with her dancing in the very silly, brilliant Rich Man's Frug section. With Bob Fosse's choreography every part of her becomes a tool for dance. Hair, fingers, the way a back is arched. She's astonishing.



No comments:

Post a Comment