Wednesday 16 February 2011

If I had a real gun I'd come out and shoot you!

Time and Tide (2000)
Chosen by Owen Todd who had this to say about it: 'An excellent film, a good narrative with some nice fight scenes along the way. Distinctly better than most run-of-the-mill martial arts flicks' 


I can vividly recall the time I saw Tsui Hark's Once Upon A Time in China. I had seen some Jackie Chan (loved) and Bruce Lee (not so keen) but nothing like the insane wire-fu of that Jet Li classic. I was just buzzing from seeing it, simply blew me away in a way no film since has really.
This certainly doesn't do match up but is a generally fun romp with some pretty good action scenes but little else to recommend.
The ever reliable Anthony Wong unfortunately doesn't have much to work with and disappears from the movie completely for the last act. Nobody else really registers as the plot is too messy (i'm still not sure why the hell it spends so much time on the bloody music box) though the main character as a bodyguard who has to run around with a fake gun and is trying to give money to his kid from a one night stand with a drunk lesbian (the movie really is a mess) is reasonably interesting.
Had the film had more focus could have been a minor classic of it's type.

No comments:

Post a Comment