Monday 21 August 2017

She's faster than he is!

The Saint (2017)
Chosen by me from looking at netflix. I wanted to watch What Happened to Monday? but this was half hour shorter and I was tired. 


I watched this without having read anything about it and within seconds of it starting I realised I was duped. This is no new film version of The Saint but a stealth (failed? i cant be bothered to research it) pilot. The title appeared and was such a cheap looking design I knew it was trouble.
Now, teevee doesnt have to be this boring visually. Shows like Justified or especially ones like American Gods or Hannibal are distinctive, visually compelling and can make a virtue out of more limited budgets. 
This does not.
It plods along, layering boring back story, and a rote uninteresting plot (involving James Remar who somehow manages to both under and over act at the same time) livened only slightly by Greg Grunberg and Thomas Kretchsman doing their thing. 
I can only vaguely recall the Ian Ogilvy version of the Saint from many years ago but he distractingly seems to be doing a Roger Moore impression throughout this double length episode only for Moore to pop up in cameo at the end anyway.
Too dull to be annoying and offers no reason to want more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment