Tuesday 7 October 2014

I want to jerk off - but that's not why I do it. I do it because I NEED to.

Wolf of Wall Street (2013)


A blistering whirlwind. With amazing energy, great central performances, it's perhaps one of the best horror films of recent times.
Jordan Belfort is a Freddy Kruger for the up town set. A Jason Voorhees of new money. Vicious, unrepentant, unstoppable and hollow. For all the talk of glamorizing this prick (and the film certainly does to an extant, and, troublingly, basically ends with an ad for his public speaking) I can't imagine anyone wanting to be him after seeing this.
Despite a lengthy running time the film never lags, never runs out of steam and never stops blacky prodding the raging sociopaths that power Wall Street (Matthew McConaughey is especially funny and horrid in a one scene cameo). Vital, dynamic cinema of the highest calibre.  

No comments:

Post a Comment