Thursday 16 October 2014

Look, spaghetti arms. This is my dance space. This is your dance space.

Dirty Dancing (1987)


As the second of my audience requested reviews I turn to a movie I haven't seen for many, many years and did not pay particular attention to at the time. So it is perhaps a touch unfair to regard this with the memories of a 10 year old or so but my mom suggested I review it and I can't say no to that, but I also can't be arsed to rewatch this piece of 80s fluff. 
I have, which I never do, done a little bit of research, reading some contemporary reviews and watching a couple of clips to refresh my memory, but the abiding recollection is one of abject boredom. 
I think in my modern day sensibility I would respond more positively to the dancing, though it manages to be reasonably sensual it's also a touch dull.
I guess it is kind of interesting that it's a coming of age story about a woman, still rare to see some 25 years later but even the 60s period setting doesn't excuse the cliches and stereotypes presented.
Thematic depth is shallow at best, tritely obvious (there's a lot of stuff about babies and the main character is nicknamed Baby, wow) but at least exists - it's no accident that the terrific Way of the Gun, whose plot concerns a pregnancy, includes a clip from this film.




No comments:

Post a Comment