Tuesday 2 August 2011

I like you to be exactly the way that you are, because in all my experience, I have never known anyone like you.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Chosen by Lauren Parker, who kindly got this introduction to me even though ill and had this to say: 'Although I am in love with Brando in his early years I do feel this film is a little overrated. I'd happily place it behind On the Waterfront and The Wild One but I might be alone on that. However it's still a good film with a great performance from Brando and like a lot of his films you just keep waiting for his character to come back on to the screen. It's very dated and extremely melodramatic but I think it's easy enough to see past that with such great performances. It's just nice to provide a film for the blog that I don't hand to Dave knowing he'll hate it!'


Extraordinarily melodramatic and all the better for it. A terrific centre piece for Brando who positively sizzles with rage throughout but Vivien Leigh and Kim Hunter are also terrific.
It's a snappy, well written piece (I vaguely recall reading some Williams for school but not finding it very interesting) and another of the classics I really wanted to get viewed with this filmaday malarkey. And I will put up with a hundred Big Stans to see great stuff like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment