Saturday 8 January 2011

End of the first week, start of the blog.

Hullo!
I watch, it could be said, quite a lot of movies. Not as many as, say, a Kim Newman but more than some.
But still, you could watch a film everyday for your entire life and not catch all the good and interesting (or just plain bad and interesting I guess) stuff out there.

However I decided that I would try it for anyway.Not for life. Just for a year. A good excuse to fill in some missing gaps in my viewing and hopefully find some hidden gems.

I'm not entirely sure how long this blog will last or what format I will do it in yet really. I run my own business so it maybe that that will take precedence over this silly little endeavour I have set up for myself.

To make it more fun I have come up with some rules. Well two really, but again as this thing goes along it may change.
Rule One: Everyday I must watch a film I have never seen before*
Rule Two: If someone brings me a film that I haven't seen I have to accept it and watch it within a month.

*this will actually work out on an average i think with me 'banking' some films for the days when I am unable to catch something.

I am hoping that people will indeed bring me films in to watch, as I have very little money to buy or rent, but mostly because I want many different thought processes going into what movies I should be watching - although many people, on hearing rule two do immediately say 'hmm what crap do I have at home I can make you watch' but, hey, that's part of the game.

I am typing this on the morning of the 8th with seven films watched.
They are;
Choke
Lady from Shanghai
Gulliver's Travels
The Kings' Speech
Following
Eric and Ernie
Season of the Witch.

If i have time tomorrow I hope to add some thoughts about each film, and whatever I catch tonight.

Suggestions for films will be gratefully received but actual physical copies of said films dropped off to my store will be even better

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good idea! I don't know if you've seen all the obvious so apologise if you have.. but my suggest(and i can lend you them if need be) Kevin Smith's work (Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back), The Big Lebowski or Blood: The Last Vampire

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great idea. We're currently working our way through unseen films on 3 lists: top 100 sci-fi; AFI's 10 anniversary 100 films list; and the nominees for the Golden Globes.

    This is fantastic and means we're getting to see a lot of great films. On the downside, it means there's still some films I have to sit through I don't like and a few others I've seen before because of massive gaps in Peter's viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys.
    i've seen all the films you mention there wood_wood_d40 but always appreciate thoughts.

    ReplyDelete