Sunday 9 January 2011

I wanted a bracelet not a great big hairy beast

Movie 3. Chosen by me. Because I like to go to the cinema a lot.

Gulliver's Travels (2010)


I'm generally a Jack Black supporter. I think he has a genuine charisma and presence on screen which is unfortunately rarely exploited to any interesting degree. Gulliver's Travels continues this trend. Another pointless 3-D film with little in the way of wit or invention. It populates the film with British comedians and gives them nothing to do and Jason Segal and Emily Blunt can barely seem to keep their eyes open. 
The film almost comes alive in an extremly silly bit of non-sequitur where everyone makes up by dancing to the Edwin Starr song War. This seems like a very fragile kind of peace to me, I doubt they would all spontaneously burst out into Agent Double O Soul the next time an argument occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment