Thursday 19 May 2011

listening to this crap is guaranteed to make you sterile.

Empire Records (1995)
Chosen by Jamie Blackmore who had this to say about it: 'Pretty well executed slacker type comedy - and with a lovely youthful Renee Zellweger in it. Also has a very young Liv Tyler and Robin Tunney. Why do I love it? Gina in an apron!'


Filled with annoying people doing annoying things.
It feels very much of it's time, I can see why so many people like it but it's fucking terrible. Laboured jokes, 2 dimensional characters given something slightly 'dark' to work through and a wholly pointless ending (that shop is dead in the water anyway).
Not funny enough to get away from the fact none of it makes sense, not drawn well enough to propel the dramatic moments. Just rubbish.
I did like Robin Tunney with the shaven head though.

2 comments:

  1. Oh say it ain't so Dave - I love this film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect a lot of people, especially around my age, will. But it rubbed me the wrong way something chronic.

    ReplyDelete