Monday 14 March 2011

When you are young not much matters, when you find something you like that's all you got.

Kids (1995)
Chosen by Adam Grimes who had this to say: 'As a kid myself i remember the first time i watched this movie, i was fascinated how it shocked me, i wasnt sure weither the love these people or hate them for being so full on. I loved its gritty in-depth take on teenagers growing up with nothing better to do other than smoke drugs skateboard and screw.. No not like skins.this film freaked me out, made me laugh and gave me a hangover the next day.'


Still packing a punch over 15 years on (the recent controversy over the American remake of Skins reminds me a little of the fuss over this movie), this came out when I was first really getting into film so I recall the hubbub quite clearly.
It is a rather remarkable film in many ways. The young cast are totally watchable even when utterly horrid (Leo Fitzpatrick's Telly is a monster whether he knows he is HIV positive or not), Sevigny and Rosario Dawson especially good.
Shot with a raw simpleness that carries the film, it feels real (though so far removed from my childhood I have about as much in common with it as I do Avatar) despite some convenient plotting and extreme nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment