Friday 11 March 2011

You know something? You read too many comic books.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Chosen by Lauren Parker who had this to say: 'At last a film choice I can firmly stand by, this is one of my favourite films of all time and luckily its a choice alot of people actually agree with. It's one of those perfect films that I can watch over and over again and it was the film that started my obsession with James Dean as a teenager. I defy anyone to not feel moved by his performance and the police station scene at the beginning has always been one of my favourite pieces of cinema just for his acting. So I really hope you like it or I can no longer be your friend.'


Filling in some gaps in my viewing is a big reason for doing this filmaday lark so I'm happy to have finally seen this.
Especially seeing as it is rather terrific. Filled with great performances (Chief from Get Smart makes for a like-ably sympathetic policeman) and a great melodramatic script.
Dean's iconic status may make it hard to realise just how good he was, he positively sizzles with rage but also compassion. Apart from the goons, everyone is given depth and shades of character, they may not feel like real people but they do feel like interesting people (far more important anyway).
Stone Cold Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment