Monday 21 March 2011

you always take a leak with a gun in your hand? that's a good way to blow your balls off.

Maniac Cop (1988)
Chosen by Lauren Parker who had this to say: 'A film so crap its great, although not Sleepaway Camp great! It has the almighty Bruce Campbell in it so its worth a watch but to be honest if he wasn't in it I don't think I would ever have watched it until the end which is why I have no interest in the sequel. I'm pretty certain you won't enjoy it, but your blog needs Bruce!'


I tend to watch films on my own. When I come out of the cinema with people, I always fear the moment they will turn to me and ask 'what did you think?'. I hate that. I kind of switch off for a while after a film and give it a good going over in my mind. I don't blame people for asking it, it's a normal thing. I get that I'm the one being an arsehole by dismissing the question but I am who I am. So I tend to go on my own.
Also I have no friends.

Maniac Cop is one of those films that should be watched with friends. It's not shitty enough to want to automatically turn off but at every plot contrivance I felt the need to turn to someone and ask 'did i hear that right?'.
It has it's moments of wit (an incredibly obvious reference to Psycho is followed a scene later by the ostensible lead of the film being killed) and a moderately interesting idea in a killer in a cop uniform but just isn't clever or funny enough to do anything with it. Characters come and go with little rhyme nor reason and the film just sort of stumbles to it's end without making much of the promising St. Patricks Day Parade set up (featuring Sam Raimi as a news reporter).

No comments:

Post a Comment